Click above for full-size
(2 photos)

Mark P. Cormier Jr.

of Falmouth, MA
Age: 35

Mark P. Cormier, Jr., 35, of Falmouth was lost at sea aboard the New Bedford fishing vessel "Leoardo" on Sunday, November 24, 2019. Born in New Bedford, he was the beloved son of Annette Blankenship and Richard Marques, Jr. Mark was a resident of Falmouth at the time of his passing, previously residing in South Dartmouth and New Bedford.

He was a true outdoorsman and was a gifted mechanic and tinkerer. He had a special place in his heart for animals, including his beloved dogs, Bailey and the late Andy, as well as mice, squirrels or whatever creature needed care.

Mark was a spark of light in a world of darknes and was fiercely loyal to his family. Special thanks to Mark's aunt and uncle, Amy and Joseph Beaulieu, for their love, support and assistance when it was most needed.

His family icludes his mother, Annette Blankenship and Dad, Richard Marques, Jr., both of New Bedford; his fiancee, Jeannine Cronin of Falmouth; 2 brothers, Shane Marques and his companion, Katie Correia of New Bedford, and Joshua Tutuan of Swansea; a sister, Alisha Marques of New Bedford; his nieces and nephews, Mischa Marques, Saige Marques, Malcolm Marques, Harper Dunn and Addy Dunn; several aunts, uncles, cousins, numerous friends and his paternal grandmother, Elizabeth Waugh of Texas. Mark was the son of the late Mark P. Cormier, Sr. and grandson of the late Marion Fumo, Dahn Blankenship, Nana: Shirley Chase and Avo: Richard Marques, Sr.

A memorial service will be conducted on Sunday, December 29, 2019, at 2:00 P.M. at Seamen's Bethel, 15 Johnny Cake Hill, New Bedford, MA  02740. A celebration of life wil immediately follow at the VFW, 109 Middle Street, Fairhaven, MA  02719.

In honor of Mark and his love for animals, please consider a donation in his memory to Animal Advocates, P.O. Box 79258, N. Dartmouth, MA  02447, or donate online at


The scalloper Leonardo capsized and sank in a storm, about 24 miles off the coast of Martha's Vineyard. The Coast Guard responded to a distress signal sent at 3:18 p.m. with the cutters Cobia and Escanaba, as well as a Jayhawk helicopter.

They found crew member Ernie Garcia in a lifeboat and took him to a hospital. He reported that a rogue wave had struck the boat before the crew was able to don life vests.

The Leonardo was located two weeks later by an ROV robot. It was sitting upright 140 feet down, near where it was reported missing.

The bodies of the other three crew members have not been found.